Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Print the list below and bring it to your appointment:
- Can I wait to have surgery or do I need it now?
- Can my heart valve be repaired or will I need a full valve replacement?
- What type of heart valve will I be getting?
- What procedure are you planning to do?
- What do I need to do to prepare for surgery?
- What should my caregivers do to prepare for my procedure and recovery?
- How long will the surgery take and how long will I be in the hospital?
- What can I expect to feel like after my surgery? Will it be very painful?
- What medications will I need to take following my surgery?
- What are some complications to watch out for following surgery?
- How long will my valve repair or my new valve last? Will I need another surgery down the road?
- How long will I be away from work?
- What kinds of things do my family members, caregivers and friends need to be aware of?
- Will my activities be restricted – temporarily or permanently?
- What are the risks for stroke?
- How does this procedure affect my other health conditions and medications?
View and Print Checklist [PDF]
Last Reviewed: January 19, 2010 2506