Recovery and Rehabilitation Checklist
Here are topics you may want to discuss with your doctor:
- What are the results of my post-surgical tests to determine if the procedure was effective?
- What are the most common post-surgical complications and the warning signs of infection or other problems?
- What are the details of my exercise and rehabilitation plan?
- How long should it take my body to heal and feel back to normal?
- What medications should I take during the recovery period?
- Are there foods, supplements or medications I should avoid (e.g., caffeine)?
- What lifestyle changes would help me recover and maintain a healthy heart?
- How often will I be seeing you after I have recovered?
Here are some questions to ask your doctor about your rehabilitation plan:
- Is physical therapy/rehabilitation recommended for me? If so, what does it include and how will it help me?
- How much will it cost? Is it covered by insurance?
- Will this level of activity be painful?
- Will I feel an immediate change in my energy level or will it take some time to build my stamina?
- Will I be able to play with my children or grandchildren and resume normal daily activities?
- How soon can I get back to my normal exercise routine?
- When can I go back to work?
- Can I lift weights? Go walking? Go jogging?
Last Reviewed: March 11, 2010 900245